Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Denier, No. Skeptic, yes.

In a comment to an earlier post, Pangolin states: "Climate change, like gravity, is an observed phenomena."

While it is true that climate change, or more accurately climate variability, is an observed phenomenon (unlike gravity, which is an inherent property of matter), the more pertinent questions are: 1) Does anthropogenic greenhouse gas production influence climate change beyond natural climate forces? 2) Will reduction of anthropogenic greenhouse gas production influence the observed on-going climate change, and, 3) Will any resulting change be in a positive direction?

While Pangolin dismisses my questions as those of a Denier, and advises that I should "STFU," (Geek Speak for plugging the ears and singing loudly), Careful Readers will note that I have not denied climate variability, nor human effects on long term climate change. I merely question the received wisdom that anthropogenic CO2 is solely responsible for the observed increase in global average surface temperature since the Pleistocene. I also question the assumption that reduction of anthropogenic CO2 will reduce the rate of future global average surface temperature rise.

Rather than Denier, I proudly wear the mantle of Questioner and Skeptic.

And in the words of Ed Abbey that Pangolin considers irretrievably besmirched:

"Fantastic doctrines (like Christianity or Islam or Marxism) require unanimity of belief. One dissenter casts doubt on the creed of millions. Thus the fear and the hate; thus the torture chamber, the iron stake, the gallows, the labor camp, the psychiatric ward."

1 comment:

  1. Beau Peyton5:40 AM

    Well, all you fancy college boys can argue your science till the cows come home. Myself, I was blessed with what my grandmother called "common sense."

    I can look at development and tell something's amiss. Massive highways jammed with cars, spewing god-knows-what into the air. I can look at the air in the Smokies or in LA and tell something's not right. I can look at what comes out of most TVA smoke stacks and tell you I don't want to live near it.

    Whether all this activity is warming the earth or not is simply a side issue to me, because even if it wasn't, these human activities are, at least from my perspective, not representative of our best work. Who the f&$k likes pollution? Sprawl? Traffic jams?

    I really don't have the time or perhaps even the intellect to decipher all these jargon. My eyes, ears and nose tell me about all I need to know.

    We've pooped in our nest, and as for you developers, politicians and bankers, don't piss down my neck and tell me it's raining.

    ReplyDelete