Tuesday, November 17, 2009

It's all about Growth!

In a BBC article, ostensibly about Low-carbon energy, the real agenda is made clear:

"New technologies will be required if the world economy is to grow without accelerating climate change."

The base assumption in all talks about climate change, Peak Oil, and the future of human civilization is the growth economy. One thing we do know about the undefinable word "sustainable," is that a growth economy isn't.

The only form of "economy" among the members of any successful species on Earth is a steady state economy. No species can expand indefinitely, taking more and more resources from other species in the neighborhood. There is a scientific name for species that continue to overstep their bounds: extinct.

1 comment:

  1. Beau Peyton6:48 AM

    I'm constantly amazed how few people are connecting he dots on this one. Dumbfounded...

    I don't know. I'm about ready to give up, figuring about all you can do is live lean for your own mental well being and scribble notes and stories for future generations (assuming there are any) to read and ponder.

    I just hope I live to see the fruits of revolution. To see the end of Exxon, Haliburton, Lockheed, Goldman's, Skank of America and all their mafia henchmen.

    Corporations, lobbyists and the Congress critters that enable and support them are like a massive crime family.

    If I could ride a horse up an escalator into the posh, executive offices and jerk 'em out with ropes to stand trial for crimes against life, I would. I absolutely loathe these people.

    I suppose the good news is the average American is figuring out, slowly but surely, what's happening in this country. They're figuring out that an elite few really run things. I hope they revolt with their wallets.

    ReplyDelete