Thursday, February 09, 2006

The True Cost of Oil

TomDispatch - Tomgram: Michael Klare, Just How Addicted to Oil Are We?

"For anyone who slips into the driver's seat of a car -- and except for those who live in cities like New York with full-scale public transport systems, that's most of America most of the time -- life is already a permanent energy crisis."

Hey, Tom! Reality check!

The problem is not all those idiots locked up in their spam cans every morning and evening. The problem is that everytghing, and I mean everything, is mined, transported, refined, transported, manufactured, transported, distributed, shelved, purchased, transported, used, thrown away, transported and dumped or recycled, all using oil.

Everything is going to cost more because the price of oil and gasoline is going to cost more. We're not just transporting human butts from hither to yon. We're transporting everything we depend on with oil!

Personally, I don't care much because I have a good garden here on the central coast of California, I live very simply, I walk to work (don;t ride a bus), to the farmer's market, to the beach. I ride my bicycle downtown to the library for good books to read, for information, for newspapers with real news. When the oil maggots have all dripped dry, my life won't change all that much.

Which is more than can be said for 90% of the rest of the people in this poor myth-begotten country, not to mention the rest of the world, which I won't mention.

Wake up time!

Hayduke

No comments:

Post a Comment